In this heart-wrenching tale of love and loss, a young Marine and his best friend’s sister plunge into a forbidden love affair while he’s home on leave.
When a Marine Chaplain knocks on her door, Jessa’s heart breaks—someone she loves is dead. Killed in action, but is it Riley or Kit? Her brother or her boyfriend…
Three months earlier, Marine Kit Ryan finds himself back home on leave and dangerously drawn to his best friend Riley’s sister, Jessa—the one girl he can’t have. Exhausted from fighting his feelings, Kit finally gives in, and Jessa isn’t strong enough to resist diving headfirst into a passionate relationship.
But what was just supposed to be a summer romance develops into something far greater than either of them expected. Jessa’s finally found the man of her dreams and Kit’s finally discovered there’s someone he’d sacrifice everything for.
When it’s time for Kit to redeploy, neither one is ready to say goodbye. Jessa vows to wait for him and Kit promises to come home to her. No matter what.
But as Jessa stands waiting for the Marine Chaplain to break her heart, she can’t help but feel that Kit has broken his promise…
Riley or Kit? Kit or Riley? Her brother or her boyfriend? Who’s coming home to her?
Mama’s Thoughts with Favorite Quotes:
I’m pretty new to the forbidden sibling’s best friend trope, but I gotta say this one really works. Given the synopsis and the prologue, you think you know exactly what’s going to happen, but I promise you don’t. This book was tender yet thrilling, the kind that makes you fondly remember when you didn’t really have any responsibilities and anything was possible. Although she’s not much in the book, I loved Didi, she was hilarious. There are moments when you completely forget these people are not real, Gray has a way of pulling you in and not letting go, until your heart is about to break and you are about to start sobbing, and then……well, I can’t tell you but I will say this isn’t a completely depressing book, despite some of the major suckage happening. This was definitely what I’d consider New Adult, and it may not be appropriate for younger readers, although it’s not exactly graphic, and once you read you’ll see why. Overall there were some times when I found the predictability to be an issue, and there were a few characters that lacked development, however, this is a beautifully written story that I’d absolutely recommend reading for yourself.
Here are some quotes to whet your appetite (I had to hold back some as they would be too spoilery):
“This is the moment you have nightmares about, play over in your mind, the darkest of daydreams, furnished by movies and by real-life stories you’ve overheard your whole life.”
“In all those imaginings I never once factored in the way he’d make me feel-as though I’ve just taken a running leap off a cliff edge. I’m breathless, almost shaking, finding it hard to hold his steady blue gaze.”
“Did he look at me with burning intensity because he was imagining kissing me or because I had food stuck in my teeth?”
Other books in the series:
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Mila Gray is the pen name for Sarah Alderson, author of Hunting Lila, Losing Lila, The Sound, Fated and Out of Control.
Originally from London she has lived in Bali for the last four years with her husband and daughter.
As well as writing young adult fiction under the name Sarah Alderson and adult fiction under the name Mila Gray, she also writes screenplays.
Enter the giveaway to win the book! All the following options give you points!
- Follow Sarah on Twitter (@sarahjalderson)
- Follow Sarah on Facebook (MilaGrayBooks)
- Follow Sarah on Instagram (@sarahalderson)
- Follow Simon Teen on Twitter (@simonteen)
- Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FantasticFlyingBookClub/
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/The_FFBC
- Add the book to goodreads
- Follow Mama Reads Hazel Sleeps on WordPress
- Follow Mama Reads Hazel Sleeps on Twitter (@reniazen)
- Follow Mama Reads Hazel Sleeps on Instagram (@reniazen)
- Like us on Facebook (link on the right panel)
- Comment on this post with your usernames for each method you use to enter.
Rules & Conditions: Please write the following rules (or similar) on your rafflecopter.
– Open to US Residents ONLY. Check the prizes for more details.
– Must be 13 or older to enter
– Giveaway starts on December 7th and finishes on December 21st.
– All entries are double-checked and false entries will be disqualified
– Winner will be notified via email and needs to answer in 48 hours letting us know if he/she accepts the prize and send us his/her full name and address.
– Your personal information won’t be used or be seen unless you’re the winner of the giveaway. We won’t sell it nor use it in a bad way.
– The FFBC Tours are not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
– One person cannot win more than one prize in a same giveaway. See our Tour Guidelines in our website for more information.